Citronella Oil 1st (Java):
Citronella oil is a volatile oil, which is distilled using steam distillation process from the greenish blue, lemon-scented leaves and stem of the plant Cymbopogon nardus (Ceylon citronella) or Cymbopogon winteratus (Java type citronella).
Trade Wise, citronella oil is categorised into two types:
1) Ceylon citronella oil - obtained from Cymbopogon nardus Rendle, (inferior type)
2) Java citronella oil - obtained from Cymbopogon winterianus Jowitt, (superior type)
- Botanical Ref - Cymbopogon Winterianus
- Plant Family - Poaceae (Gramineae)
- Fragrance - Woody, Spice
- Plant Part Used - Grass
- Color Tone - Pale Yellowish
- Origin - India
- Grade - Therapeutic
- Production Process - Steam Distillation
- Usage - Insect repellent, Aromatherapy, Astringent & Perfume Industry
- Mixes well with - Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Lemongrass.
- Main Constituents - Citronellal, Citronellol, Gerniol, Esters
The leaves of citronella plant (Cymbopogon winterianus Jowitt) are distilled to obtain valuable oil. Citronella Essential Oil is a source of important perfumery chemicals like citronellal, citronellol and geraniol, which find extensive use in soap, perfumery, cosmetic and flavouring industries.