Geranium Essential Oil | Pelargonium Graveolens:
Geranium oil is a versatile essential oil that is extracted from the flowers of the Pelargonium graveolens plant. With its floral and sweet scent. A perennial shrub, Geranium grows to about 3 feet high and bears small pink flowers.
It's an excellent oil to be used for massaging besides treating cellulite due to its diuretic properties. It's uplifting scent, acts as an anti-depressant and can be used while bathing during winters. It is also used by aromatherapists for treating menstrual and hormonal problems.
Use of geranium oil and its Properties:
- Botanical Name - Pelargonium Graveolens
- Color and Appearance - Greenish yellow Liquid
- Odor - Sweet minty rosy fresh.
- Odour Strength - Medium
- Extraction Method - Steam Distillation
- Grade - Therapeutic Commercial
- Main ingredients - Geraniol , L Citronellol , Menthone, Terpineol.
- Blends well with - Benzoin, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Cypress, Fennel, Ginger, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Neroli, Patchouli, Rose Otto,
- Industrial destination - Fragrance Industry, Flavour Industry, Pharmaceutical Indus try, Food Industry, Cosmetic Industry , Incense Industry
- Country of Origin - Country of Origin
- Application - It is used sparingly in combination with rich and sweet flavor materials. In perfumery, this oil is used so commonly that it is hardly possible to point out its particular application
Geranium oil has a wide range of uses and benefits:
- Skincare: Geranium oil has astringent properties that make it an excellent ingredient in skincare products. It can help tighten and tone the skin, reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, and promote a healthy, glowing complexion.
- Stress relief: Geranium oil is known for its calming and uplifting effects. It can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, and promote relaxation.
- Repels insects: Geranium oil has insect-repellent properties that make it effective in keeping mosquitoes, flies, and other insects at bay.
- Anti-inflammatory: Geranium oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation and pain in the body. It can be particularly effective in alleviating menstrual cramps and joint pain.
- Balancing: It is believed to help balance hormones and regulate menstrual cycles. It can also help balance the mind and promote emotional stability.
- Respiratory health: It has antibacterial and antiviral properties that make it effective in promoting respiratory health. It can help alleviate symptoms of colds, flu, and sinus infections.
- Perfumery: With its sweet and floral aroma, Geranium oil is a popular ingredient in perfumes and fragrances.
Geranium oil is not only used for its medicinal and aromatic properties, but also for several industrial applications.
Here are some of the industrial uses of Geranium oil:
Flavors and fragrances: Geranium oil is commonly used in the manufacturing of perfumes, cosmetics, and personal care products due to its sweet and floral aroma.
Food and beverage industry: Geranium oil is used as a natural flavoring agent in the food and beverage industry. It is commonly used in desserts, confectioneries, and soft drinks.
Insect repellent: Geranium oil is a natural insect repellent that can be used to keep mosquitoes, flies, and other insects away. It is often used in insect repellent products, such as candles, sprays, and lotions.
Cleaning products: Geranium oil has antibacterial and antiviral properties that make it an effective ingredient in cleaning products. It can be used in household cleaners, disinfectants, and air fresheners.
Textile industry: Geranium oil is used in the textile industry as a natural dye for fabrics. It can give fabrics a range of colors from pink to orange.
Pharmaceutical industry: Geranium oil is used in the pharmaceutical industry as a flavoring agent for oral medications and as an ingredient in topical ointments and creams.