Galangal Oil (Kaempferia galanga):
Galangal essential oil is steam distilled from the rhizomes (roots) and possesses similar properties to those of Ginger essential oil: stimulant, carminative and digestive. In Europe, during the middle Ages, Galangal's warming, stimulating scent was known as an aphrodisiac and it is still sold by some herbal suppliers as a sexual stimulant. As with all exotic ingredients, galangal enjoyed a reputation for being powerful in European ‘magic’.
Galangal essential oil (Kaempferia galanga) is a partly liquid/partly crystalline mass at room temperature displaying a rich, sweet woody, fruity-winey bouquet with a balsamic-spicy undertone of fine tenacity. In natural perfumery used in spice accords, precious woods notes, high class floral (as a fixative), Oriental bases.
Galangal essential oil is hot oil and must be used with a carrier when applying to the skin. Being hot oil, it will have aphrodisiac qualities and will tend to arouse especially when blended with ginger, cinnamon, and clove. Galangal Oil is warming, stimulating and antiseptic.
Galangal essential oils scent is fresh, spicy and woody. Due to its aromatic and flavouring properties, the oil is widely used in Cosmetics, Perfumery, Aromatherapy and so many flavouring and food products.
This volatile oil plays a key role in herb’s medicinal properties such as treating and calming stomach related disorders. Galangal is available in powdered, oil, tea, fluid extract form. It has got aromatic, pungent, peppery and ginger like flavor.
- Botanical Name - Kaempferia galanga
- Part Used – rhizomes (roots)
- Oil Grade – Therapeutic
- Color and Appearance – yellow to brownish liquid
- Odour Strength – Medium to strong
- Extraction Method – Steam Distillation
- Aromatic Tone – Camphorous, herbaceous aroma, adds warmth of spice to a fragrance blend.
- Blends well with - black pepper, cardamom, carnation, cedarwood, chamomile roman, cinammon, clove, coriander, cypress, elemi, fennel seed, frankincense, geranium, ginger, ho leaf, ho wood, juniper berry, lavandin, marjoram, mimosa, myrtle, parsley seed, patchouli, palmarosa, pimento berry
- Main ingredients – carotol, cineole, fenchyl acetate, β-caryophyllene
- Application – Cosmetics, Perfumery, Skin Care, Beauty Care & Medidine.
- Country - India